Full-text publications are available for download in .PDF format. Please click the .PDF icon next to the paper you wish to download.
8. Small, B.C. and D. Nonneman. 2001. Sequence and expression of cDNA encoding both pituitary adenylate cyclase activating polypeptide and a growth hormone-releasing hormone-like peptide in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 122:354-363.
10. Small, B.C., J.H. Soares, L.C. Woods, and G.E. Dahl. 2002. Effects of fasting on pituitary growth hormone expression and circulating growth hormone levels in striped bass. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 64:278-283.
11. Small, B.C. 2003. Anesthetic efficacy of metomidate and comparison of plasma cortisol responses to tricaine methanesulfonate, quinaldine and clove oil anesthetized channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus. Aquaculture. 218:177-185.
12. Bilodeau, A.L., B.C. Small, and W.R. Wolters. 2003. Pathogen loads, clearance, and plasma cortisol response in channel catfish following challenge with Edwardsiella ictaluri. J. Fish Diseases. 26:433-437.
14. Drennon K., S. Moriyama, H. Kawauchi, B. Small, J. Silverstein, I. Parhar, and B. Shepherd. 2003. Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the measurement of plasma growth hormone (GH) levels in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus): assessment of environmental salinity and GH-secretagogues on plasma GH levels. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 133:314-322.
16. Peterson, B.C., B.C. Small, and B. Bosworth. 2004. Effects of bovine growth hormone (Posilac) on growth performance, body composition, and IGFBPs in two strains of channel catfish. Aquaculture. 232:651-663.
20. Karsi, A., G.C. Waldbieser, B.C. Small, Z. Liu, and W.R. Wolters. 2004. Molecular cloning of proopiomelanocortin cDNA and multi-tissue mRNA expression in channel catfish. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 137:312-321.
22. Bosworth, B.G., B.C. Small, and C. Mischke. 2004. Effects of transport water temperature, aerator type, and oxygen level on channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) fillet quality. J. World Aquacult. Soc. 35:412-419.
23. Weber, T.E., B.C. Small, and B.G. Bosworth. 2005. Lipopolysaccharide regulates myostatin and MyoD independently of an increase in plasma cortisol in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 28:64-73.
24. Small, B.C and B.C. Peterson. 2005. Establishment of a time-resolved fluoroimmunoassay for measuring plasma insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) in fish: effect of fasting on plasma concentrations and tissue mRNA expression of IGF-I and growth hormone (GH) in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 28:202-215.
28. Small, B.C. and A.L. Bilodeau. 2005. Effects of cortisol and stress on channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) pathogen susceptibility and lysozyme activity following exposure to Edwarsiella ictaluri. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 142:255-261.
29. Bilodeau, A.L., Small, B.C., Wise, D.J., and Wolters, W.R. 2005. Pathogen levels and cortisol response in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) with susceptibility differences to Edwardsiella ictaluri. J. Aquat. Anim. Health. 17:138–146.
30. Karsi, A., G.C. Waldbieser, B.C. Small, and W.R. Wolters. 2005. Genomic structure of the proopiomelanocortin gene and expression during temporal stress in channel catfish. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 143:104-112.
31. Kaiya, H, B.C. Small, A.L Bilodeau, B.S. Shepherd, M. Kojima, H. Hosoda, and K. Kangawa. 2005. Purification, cDNA cloning and characterization of ghrelin in channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 143:201-210.
32. Small, B.C. 2005. Effect of fasting on nychthemeral concentrations of plasma growth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), and cortisol in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 142:217-223.
34. Small, B.C. 2006. Improvements in channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus growth after two generations of selection and comparison of performance traits to blue catfish I. furcatus and hybrid catfish I. punctatus x I. furcatus fingerlings in an aquarium rack system. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 68:92-98.
36. Beecham, R.V., B.C. Small, and C.D. Minchew. 2006. Using portable lactate and glucose meters for catfish research: acceptable alternatives to established laboratory methods? N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 68:291–295.
37. Small, B.C., C.A. Murdock, G.C. Waldbieser, and B.C. Peterson. 2006. Reduction in channel catfish hepatic growth hormone receptor expression in response to food deprivation and dietary administration of exogenous cortisol. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 31: 340-356.
38. Peterson B.C. and B.C. Small. 2006. Effect of feeding frequency on feed consumption, growth, and feed efficiency in aquaria-reared Norris and NWAC103 channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). J. World Aquacult. Soc. 37:490-495.
39. Peterson, B.C., B.C. Small, and A.L. Bilodeau. 2007. Effects of GH on immune and endocrine responses of channel catfish challenged with Edwardsiella ictaluri. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A. 146:47-53
40. Bosworth, B.G., B.C. Small, D. Gregory, J. Kim, S. Black, and A. Jerrett. 2007. Effects of rested-harvest using AQUI-S on channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, physiology and fillet quality. Aquaculture. 262:302-318
41. Barrero, M., B.C. Small, L.R. D’Abramo, L.A. Hanson, and A.M. Kelly. 2007. Comparison of estradiol, testosterone, vitellogenin and cathepsin profiles among young adult channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) females from four selectively bred strains. Aquaculture. 264:390-397.
42. Barrero, M., B.C. Small, L.R. D’Abramo, G.C. Waldbeiser, L.A. Hanson, and A.M. Kelly. 2008. Effect of Carp Pituitary Extract and Luteinizing Hormone Releasing Analog Hormone on Reproductive Indices and Spawning of 3-Year-Old Channel Catfish. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 70:138-146.
45. Small, B.C., C.A. Murdock, A.L. Bilodeau-Bourgeois, B.C. Peterson, and G.C. Waldbieser. 2008. Stability of reference genes for real-time PCR analyses in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) tissues under varying physiological conditions. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 151:296-304.
46. Pearson, P.R., B.C. Small, R.V. Beecham, C.D. Minchew, S.B. LaBarre, and T.D. Sink. 2009. Effects of loading density on golden shiner survival during and after hauling. N. Amer. J. Aquacult. 71:24-29.
48. Peterson, B.C., A.L. Bilodeau-Bourgeois and B.C. Small. 2009. Response of the somatotropic axis to alterations in feed intake of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 153:457–463.
49. Small, B.C., S.M.A. Quiniou, and H. Kaiya. 2009. Sequence, genomic organization and expression of two channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, ghrelin receptors. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 154:451-464.
50. Peterson, B.C., B.G. Bosworth and B.C. Small. 2010. Comparison of Growth, Body Composition, and Stress Response of Three Select Lines and Industry Channel Catfish. J. World Aquacult. Soc. 41:156-162.
51. Wang, S., Peatman, E., Abernathy, J., Waldbieser, G.C., Lindquist, E., Richardson, P., Lucas, S., Wang, M., Li, P., Thimmapuram, J., Liu L., Vullaganti, D., Kucuktas, H., Murdock, C., Small, B.C., Wilson, M., Liu, H., Jiang, Y., Lee, Y., Chen, F., Lu, J., Wang, W., Xu, P., Somridhivej, B., Baoprasertkul, P., Quilang, J., Sha, Z., Bao, B., Wang, Y., Wang, Q., Takano, T., Nandi, S., Liu, S., Wong, L., Kaltenboeck, L., Quiniou, S., Bengten, E., Miller, N., Trant, J., Rokhsar, D., Liu, Z, and the Catfish Genome Consortium. 2010. Assembly of 500,000 inter-specific catfish expressed sequence tags and large scale gene-associated marker development for whole genome association studies. Genome Biology 11:R8.
52. Peterson,B.C., G.C. Waldbieser, L.G. Riley Jr., K.R. Upton, Y. Kobayashi, B.C. Small. 2012. Pre- and postprandial changes in orexigenic and anorexigenic factors in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). General and Comparative Endocrinology. 176:213-239.
53. Tapia, P.J., M.C. Puebla, A. Muñoz, E. Rojas, C.M. Marchant, M.A. Cornejo, M. Futagawa, B.C. Small. 2012. Evaluation of the cortisol stress response in a marine perciform fish, the San Pedro Oplegnathus Insignis. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 74:438-442.
54. Pohlenz, C. A. Buentello, T. Miller, B.C. Small, D.S. MacKenzie, and D. Gatlin III. 2013. Effects of dietary arginine on endocrine growth factors of channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 166:215-21
55. Fenn, C. M., Glover, D. C., & Small, B. C. (2013). Efficacy of AQUI-S 20E as a Sedative for Handling and Cortisol Suppression in Pallid Sturgeon. North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 33(6), 1172-1178.